Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 12 year old Labrador is due to have an operation on a growth

My 12 year old Labrador is due to have an operation on a growth on her eyelid tomorrow.She has a heart murmur and when this operation has been carried out previously she struggled with her heart under the general anaesthetic and so the lump could only be cut back rather than removed. The operation cannot be carried out under local anaesthetic because she might move during the procedure. It has been decided to give her a sedative and try to burn the lump hopefully killing the root. My main worry is the risk to her of giving her a sedative at her age. I have been told that this will make her groggy afterwards.Alternatively leaving the lump will encourage it to grow. Megan is a very stressed dog at the moment due to the heavy rain and thunderstorms we are having and I am worried that putting her through this, at this time, is the wrong thing to do.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

This sort of procedure is something I have carried out quite a few times in my career and with care the chances are everything should be fine. These days the sedatives used are very safe and this should be significantly safer than a general anaesthetic.

Scott Nimmo :

I know you are worried about your Lab's heart but with sedation the heart rate will be very low and hence the heart less stressed.

Scott Nimmo :

She will be a bit stressed when she recovers, that's for sure but if this is the case she will not be so stressed about thunder etc.

Scott Nimmo :

it is a hard decision I know but it may be better to do something rather than nothing ...

Scott Nimmo :

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott