Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

2 questions 1) my pointer has some pimple like looking things

Customer Question

2 questions
1) my pointer has some pimple like looking things on her lips and chin. Getting more of them they don't bother her but look bad
2) my Labrador is really itchy her fur also has small chunks do dry skin attached to little clumps of hair
Background:
Gsp- 18 months old
Lab- 12 months old
Both from uk now we live in malaysia, they went from a raw barf diet to orijen here
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. My moderator has asked that you open up a second question for a second pet. I'm only allowed to answer a question concerning one pet and so I'll do so for your GSP.

The pimples on your dog's lips and chin are likely to represent a chin pyoderma (canine acne). This is a bacterial infection that isn't a true acne but rather a traumatic furunculosis. Short, stiff hairs are forced backward through the hair follicle, creating a sterile foreiggn body reaction that may become subsequently infected. This may be caused by trauma to the chin (e.g., caused by lying on hard floors, friction from chew toys). Chin pyoderma is common in short-coated dogs, especially when young (3-12 months old).

Trauma and pressure to the chin should be minimized. For mild lesions, the area should be scrubbed with benzoyl peroxide or chlorhexidine shampoo in the direction of hair growth. This mechanical scrubbing to remove "ingrown" hairs is important for preventing future lesions and speeding resolution. Mupirocin ointment or benzoyl peroxide gel should be applied every day until lesions resolve, then every 3-7 days as needed for control. For moderate to severe lesions, in addition to topical treatment, systemic antibiotics should be administered for a minimum of 4-6 weeks and continued 2 weeks beyond clinical and cytologic resolution.

The prognosis is good. In many dogs the lesions resolve permanently; however, some dogs require lifelong topical therapy for control. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.