Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

little dog has not eaten for four days brought her to the vet

Customer Question

little dog has not eaten for four days brought her to the vet took an exray could not find anything wrong with her am very worrid about her
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Ellie. My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Were any blood tests done?
is she vomiting at all?
What is the tablet you are trying to give her?
This is an Info Request, to help me answer your question.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not sure about blood test she has been vomiting on and off for the past few days. the name of the tablets are therios 750mg by 6 tablets

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for that information.
Those tablets are antibiotics. If she has a bacterial infection, they would help.
However, this does not sound like a bacterial infection. Also, 750 mg sounds very high for a small dog; ti would give 750 to a 75 pound dog!
It is more likely this is a viral infection, or an internal disease like pancreatitis, liver disease, kidney disease, etc. There are so many, dozens or more, reasons a dog won't eat. The best approach is to get a diagnosis and then treat appropriately.
If an Xray did not show an obstruction, tumor, blockage, or enlarged internal organs, that is great. However, there are many things that do not show up on X-rays. If she were my own dog, I would do blood tests next.
I would also be checking for dehydration. If she has not eaten in 4 days, she may be dehydrated, and that will make what ever is wrong even worse.
If you look at her gums, are they a nice bright pink color, or do they look pale at all? If you gently pinch some skin over her shoulders and let it to, it should go back to normal position in less than one second. If it takes longer, she is dehydrated, and needs supplemental fluids.
If she will drink, keep offering water and broth to keep her hydrated. If blood tests were not done, that would be my next step. If she is dehydrated supplemental fluids, under the skin or by IV would help her feel better.
Let me know what other questions you have about her.
Rebecca