Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My dog has 3 skin tags - one near his back leg, one under his

My dog has 3 skin tags - one near his back leg, one under his chin & one on his shoulder. When I have looked at them and tugged at it they fill with blood. Should I get them removed by the vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

If they are bleeding with any pressure then I would consider removing them

Dr. Altman :

Hopefully being skin tags your veterinarian will be comfortable doing this with a local anesthetic to numb and not require full anesthesia

Dr. Altman :

But if he were to traumatize them and they bled, likely he will begin licking and possibly an infection

Dr. Altman :

Best to not take the chance now that there are three and remove them now. Especially since they bleed so readily

Dr. Altman :

I will await your response and any additional questions you might have...

Customer: When you tug at them they fill with blood - no blood is actually coming out. I'm just worried as taking him to the vet is bad enough - he absolutely hates it! So I think they would need to put him under general which ideally I don't won't .
Dr. Altman :

I understand, in a mild mannered dog this is a possibility but if Archie is very anxious then it might not be an option

Dr. Altman :

I always recommend photographing them with a ruler weekly at first and monthly after the first few months to monitor for any increased size/ shape or any ulcerations/ irritations

Dr. Altman :

If they are not bothering him, not growing, and no blood is actually seen then you should be fine monitoring them

Dr. Altman :

But definitely make sure your vet evaluates the new ones next examination to ensure they are not to be worried about

Dr. Altman :

Does this make sense? Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

Dr. Altman :

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Dr. Altman :

Oh and don't tug on them anymore :)

Customer: I found the first one as he was biting the skin around it and that's when I took him and he was given a mild steroid cream - luckily he hasn't been biting any of them since. The first one does not look any difference in size/ shape since I first noticed it I was just a little concerned as I've noticed 2 more - what are they caused from? I've read various things but it is confusing!
Dr. Altman :

I do understand that they might not appear differently and likely the one is not changing but taking a photo regularly will confirm that. When we look at it every day we don't notice the subtleties of change versus a photo. I have people come into the clinic and tell me my dogs have lost weight and I don't believe them until I weigh them!

Dr. Altman :

Just like us, dogs can get various growths and often it is genetic

Dr. Altman :

Nothing anyone is doing wrong

Dr. Altman :

For example, Poodles are notorious for getting papillomas or warts

Dr. Altman :

German Shepherds get Sebaceous tumors (benign)

Dr. Altman :

And Labradors get fatty tumors

Dr. Altman :

Often we don't know why they occur in certain dogs and not in other ones

Dr. Altman :

Hopefully he will not get anymore but there are no promises! I have a few Poodles that I take 15-25 little warts off a year because they get snagged when groomed and bleed

Dr. Altman :

As long as he is leaving them alone and not bothering them along with no changes in size/ shape/ consistency then it is fine to monitor

Dr. Altman :

And use the cream if he chews but if that is not enough and he continues to bother them it is time to consider removing them

Customer: Ok thank you just needed some advice without the trauma of taking him to the vets!
Dr. Altman :

I completely understand :)

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance in the future!

Dr. Altman :
Customer: Can I send you the phot of the skin tags?
If you are satisfied with our conversation please "rate" excellent or good so I can be compensated for my time.
It can prove to be difficult in the Q&A format to attach photos but you can certainly try. The other option is to give a link to a site such as shutterfly where you have posted the photos...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
http://www.shutterfly.com/community/aboutme/start.sfly?alias=LisaH25724
When I open to that page it offers a link and when I press on the link it simply refreshes that page? I cannot get access to the photo :(
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Http://archiedog123.shutterfly.com/picture/9
Http://archiedog123.shutterfly.com/picture/10
Http://archiedog123.shutterfly.com/picture/11
Hopefully that works
I apologize for the delay, I had surgery this morning.
Unfortunately the site says "the page cannot be found" yet is titled Archie. I have no idea how to rectify this situation and understand your frustration at not being able to allow me to view the photos.
If you were to create a new live chat you can use the paperclip on the page to download any attachments more successfully. I am currently on my lunch break and would be happy to view them later this afternoon, after 7 pm Mountain Standard Time.
If interested, just begin the question "Dr. Altman, in reference to our conversation yesterday" and others will leave the question to me (hopefully).
Again apologies for any frustrations with this process...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is proving to be a nightmare! It won't let me start a new chat with the paper clip,
I've tried shutterfly again
https://archiedog285.shutterfly.com/pictures/9
https://archiedog285.shutterfly.com/pictures/10
https://archiedog285.shutterfly.com/pictures/11
It worked, yay!
They really, truly do look like skin tags in the photos you have provided. The first one there is a shadow so I was not able to get a good look but they really do not look like they are of concern unless they are traumatized or change at all.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!