Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

There is a yew tree in my garden and my Golden Retriever is

There is a yew tree in my garden and my Golden Retriever is eating the berries. Are they poisonous
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned because Bonnie is eating yew berries.
Here are links to pictures to make sure we are talking about the same plant:
http://www.aspca.org/sites/default/files/styles/medium_image_300x200/public/field/image/plants/yew-r.jpg?itok=TOFzaTbb
http://yewtreelandscapes.com/Yew-Tree-Berries.jpg
The short answer is that any part of the yew plant is toxic for dogs. Yew plants contain the toxin taxine and symptoms of a toxic ingestion include muscular tremors, difficulty breathing, and seizures in dogs which can progress to heart failure and sudden death. You absolutely want to stop her from eating any part of this plant. Is she has eaten more then a few berries I recommend that she see her veterinarian.
Dogs often eat plant material because they are feeling nauseous. If her appetite is off, she is drinking more water than usual or is lethargic then a veterinary visit is in order.
To try and settle her stomach now you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help decrease her drive to eat plants if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.