How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 17140
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now

There is a yew tree in my garden and my Golden Retriever is

Resolved Question:

There is a yew tree in my garden and my Golden Retriever is eating the berries. Are they poisonous
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned because Bonnie is eating yew berries.
Here are links to pictures to make sure we are talking about the same plant:
http://www.aspca.org/sites/default/files/styles/medium_image_300x200/public/field/image/plants/yew-r.jpg?itok=TOFzaTbb
http://yewtreelandscapes.com/Yew-Tree-Berries.jpg
The short answer is that any part of the yew plant is toxic for dogs. Yew plants contain the toxin taxine and symptoms of a toxic ingestion include muscular tremors, difficulty breathing, and seizures in dogs which can progress to heart failure and sudden death. You absolutely want to stop her from eating any part of this plant. Is she has eaten more then a few berries I recommend that she see her veterinarian.
Dogs often eat plant material because they are feeling nauseous. If her appetite is off, she is drinking more water than usual or is lethargic then a veterinary visit is in order.
To try and settle her stomach now you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help decrease her drive to eat plants if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you