Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 16yrs.old Jack.Russell who appears to have constipation.

I have a 16yrs.old Jack.Russell who appears to have constipation. Water is on hand at all times !,.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since she had a bowel movement?
2- Can you describe her symptoms?
3- How much does she weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. As far as I can see ?48hrs.

2. May be I`m over conserned - she is sleeping quite a bit during the day - but very `figity` over her food - she`s been like it for a while - I take it to be she age - allowing her companion to `help` eat it for her !!.

3. I have not weighed her for sometime as she has not put on weight or taken it off

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is she trying to go unsuccessfully?
2- Is she lethargic?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1-She does not give that apperance - just slow producing the motion.

2. Surprised to find she moves arround quite well - particulaly with the other dogs when they are with her - otherwise she sleeps !.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Is it fair to say she is eating less?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. Yes

. During the day she has tit bites like `Bonies` etc. May be I`m wrong giving her those ! She would like my food from my plate !!. - but at she age I feel somewhat consered.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Margaret, it is very possible that her decrease in fecal output is directly related to her decrease in food intake. The big question is: Why is she eating less? She may not want her food because she wants your food or it could be a sign of an underlying medical problem. The fact that she is an older dog I would want to rule out medical causes for her decrease food intake. You see, when a dog is constipated they generally are straining to defecate and continue to eat as usual. For this reason I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian to rule out any underlying medical condition. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%).
2- Increase her water intake by offering low sodium chicken broth.
3- Give her some milk. Milk normally causes diarrhea in dogs but in cases of constipation it can work as a stool softener.
4- Follow up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.