YourPetVet
YourPetVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years general medicine, surgery and emergency medicine
41322881

my 6 month old Labrador has just thrown up twice within the

Customer Question

my 6 month old Labrador has just thrown up twice within the last hour.
Both times no retching and only a single go.
It was a dark brown liquid with bits of partly digested kibble in it, and smelled bad.
He was last fed over 4 hours ago.
The kibble is dark brown.
He definitely went to the toilet when I took him a walk at lunch time.
He has a history of eating his own poo, so we are trying hard to pick up, but he is a determined Labrador, so I can't say for sure.
there is so much conflicting info online, so I would appreciate some advice.
thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  YourPetVet replied 3 years ago.
YourPetVet :

Hello thanks for your question.

YourPetVet :

Many times animals will get a hold of something that will upset the stomach and cause vomiting a few times in a row

YourPetVet :

I recommend that you offer Rood small amounts of water at a time to let his stomach settle.

YourPetVet :

Then after 12 to 24 hours of not vomiting you can offer small amounts of bland food such as cooked rice with white meat chicken

Customer:

thank you. I have just gone downstairs and he is lying next to the radiator looking sorry for himself. its not cold and not like him. are they just like us that they feel sorry for themselves?

YourPetVet :

They can have nausea and stomach feel cramped. Even the smell of food can upset the stomach further

Customer:

my other dog has had stomach complaints on a number of occasions but has never been sorry for herself. is there anything particularly that I should look out for getting worse?

YourPetVet :

continued vomiting is the biggest one and severe lethargy, not wanting to get up to go outside

Customer:

the vomiting does seem to have stopped fingers crossed, but he is sleepy next to the radiator. if he could get on it he would, and normally he is on the tiled floor just now to get cool. If he continues to be lethargic should I take him to the emergency vet or just monitor and see what he is like in the morning? it is always night time when these things happen or I would have taken him.

YourPetVet :

Yes these things to tend to happen at night. If he is resting and not having any more losses from vomiting or diarrhea then he should be OK for the night, but you should go to the ER if he continues to vomit or other signs begin like being overly lethargic to the point of not wanting to get up, increased breathing or increased salivating

Customer:

thank you. I will go downstairs and keep an eye on him.