Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hi, my 14 year old springer has suddenly collapsed and now

Customer Question

Hi, my 14 year old springer has suddenly collapsed and now walks to the right on here right side knuckles and just keeps collapsing. I have seen the vet who says its not vestibular as she's still eating and sprinkling , however not very well from the right side if mouth.
This has happened so quickly it's almost like a stroke victim. She cannot even stand up properly to urinate.
I very nearly had her euthanised yesterday because she seemed so distressed but doesn't seem in pain so wanted to see how she faired.
This morning she would not move but managed with my help to get out the door for a wee.
Now sat just looking at me and not able to get up I don't really know what's best to do for her?
Any advice great fully received
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

Sorry to hear Hollie is unwell. My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

I have to say this does sound like something neurological to me as well, a stroke perhaps or a brain tumour ...

Scott Nimmo :

If the above is the case then the problem you face is coming to a precise diagnosis, this of cours eis important so you are sure you are doing the right thing by your dog ...

Scott Nimmo :

A comprehensive blood test would rule out a number of other diseases but even X-ray is often not much good in visualising neurolgical problems.

Customer: The vet did say the only real way to tell is an MRI but even then the symptoms were severe enough to suggest it wouldn't solve any problems
Scott Nimmo :

A CT scan would be the " gold standard " diagnostic test for cases like this ...

Scott Nimmo :

I doubt if I would want to suggest a scan for this sort of case because of the stress to your dog and the the fact that this would in no way be a treatment which is often elusive in any case

Customer: In your experience would you say there is a chance as this was so quick or would I be hanging on to something which is distressing her even more?
Scott Nimmo :

Before the days when MRI etc. was available in the UK we used to put such dogs on supportive care plus the likes of steroids, if despite this the dogs got slowly worse then we came to the diagnosis of a grave neurological condition and often if the dog was very old and had a resultant low quality of life euthanasia was offered. And looking back we were rarely wrong ...

Scott Nimmo :

It may be best to just offer supportive care for a couple of days and see how it goes ...

Scott Nimmo :

I have to say it does not sound very hopeful for Hollie though ... sorry to be so blunt ...

Customer: I appreciate your help, it does really confirm what I was told in some ways yesterday , I think I know what I need to do, thank you for your time. Jo