Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My little girl came into season at 51/2 months, more of a discharge

Customer Question

My little girl came into season at 51/2 months, more of a discharge than a bleed, then she came into season again at 8 1/2 months, this time discoloured at first, then normal blood spotting, should I be worried at 1/ the discoloured discharge, 2/ the closeness of the two seasons,
Peadar
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
The initial heat cycle at 5.5 months is normal for a small breed. Poppy's vet was concerned that at 3 months later Poppy had developed a cystic endometrial hyperplasia (CEH) which can appear within 1-3 months after an estrual cycle ends. CEH, then, can progress to a mucometra (excessive mucus in the uterus) or pyometra (excessive mucus + infection). If Poppy's vet found a normal complete blood count and no evidence of infection when scanning the uterus, pyometra can be discarded and the fact that Poppy came into season again at 8.5 months rules out pyometra in any event.

Because bitches can come into season at any time of the year and the very young and very old bitch may have shortened or lengthened intervals between seasons, we don't worry about this behavior. Prolonged estrus, however, may indicate cystic ovaries and prompt recommendation of spaying. Poppy is too young to make any conclusions about her cycles. It's likely that she would become the usual bitch cycling twice yearly at ~ 6month intervals as she matures.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.