Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog is half way through her and seems to be very

my dog is half way through her period and seems to be very tired this time what wood bethe best pick me up for her
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since her last period?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
3- Have you noticed if the discharge is heavier than usual?
4- Is she drinking more than usual?
5- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
6- Can you take her rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1, 9 MONTHS SINCE HER LAST PERIOD

2.Coughing or Vomiting

3 Yes discharge heavier than usual.

4 No drinking normal.

5 Gums are pink

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Roydom, I am a bit concern that the discharge you are seeing is not her period but instead she has an infection in the uterus called a: "Pyometra." Her being lethargic is secondary to the infection. This is a surgical emergency, untreated it could be fatal. There could be other causes like vaginitis, urinary tract infections, cervical tumors, etc. But, at this point it is important to rule out a pyometra. A quick xray can determine if she has a pyometra or not. I would highly recommend you consider having her checked by ER vet and not wait. Holding on treatment can have fatal consequences, not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter