Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog sleeps in a crate at night and has done for years without

Customer Question

My dog sleeps in a crate at night and has done for years without any problems. However in the last week or so she has started weeing in her crate at night. Nothing that I can think off has changed the routine at night is still the same. What can I do to help prevent this happening. At the moment I need to change her bedding every day while the weather is dry it quite easy to wash it and get it dry.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dr. Kara and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about your girl having accidents in her crate at night.

It is possible that she has a low grade urinary tract infection and the inflammation is causing her to dribble urine when she is asleep. However I would expect her to have some symptoms when she is awake as well, such as frequent urinations, straining to urinate or licking at her vulva.

Another possibility is that she has some sort of internal organ disease (diabetes or kidney disease) that is causing her to drink more water such that she simply can't hold it overnight. Although given your history of nothing else being different that seems less likely.

Other possibilities are some spinal arthritis that is affecting the nerves that control continence and causing her to dribble when she is sleeping or if she is spayed then she may have hormone related incontinence. The lack of estrogen can weaken the urethral muscles causing urine to leak when they are deeply asleep.

She needs to see her veterinarian for an examination, urinalysis with culture to look for infection and possibly some blood tests to look for abnormal organ function if her urine looks abnormal (very dilute urine or if her urine has protein or glucose in it).

If this is related to weak urethral muscle function due to lack of estrogen medication such as phenylpropanolamine (PPA) can help that, and if it is related to spinal arthritis then treating that with anti-inflammatories as well could help.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.