Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My lasha apso had surgery, (castration), and has cried and

Customer Question

My lasha apso had surgery, (castration), and has cried and pounded on the kitchen door ever since, recovery has been otherwise uneventful, no signs of physical problems such as infection , post op pain relief given, but he is frantic.
Don't know how to deal with this, he continues throughout the night, it
's exhausting for him and for us. He is perfectly normal during the day.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Sorry to hear about your dog's problems, could you tell me how many days ago surgery was carried out?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is 4 days post op.

Hello again and thanks for getting back to me.

Sorry to hear your dog is uncomfortable ...

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think.

1. I have carried out many hundreds of such operations in my time and I can tell you that at four days post op. he could still be experiencing some degree of post operative pain and discomfort. During the day there will be things going on to take his mind of things but at night when he is on his own he may be still be experiencing some degree of discomfort and stress.

2. My experience is that such symptoms will slowly start to reduce on their own around one week after surgery when the wound has settled down a bit. In the meantime you may want to have your vet review his post operative relief and perhaps a sedative to be given last thing at night will help as well.

3. Some owners are against this I know but if you let him sleep in your bedroom with you at night, just for the next seven to ten days then this may relax him and get his confidence back again.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Scott, we will follow that advice and hopefully things will settle.I will have his pain relief reviewed by our vet today.

Regards,

Tricia.

Hello again Tricia,
It is early days yet, almost all of these cases will settle down given a little time...
Regards,
Scott
Hello again ,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a week or so to check on your Lhasa Apso's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours so please get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

If I can ever help you further then please contact me again via my profile LINK

Kindest regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo The Online Vet
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's a pleasure Scott.

Milo has now had a full and quiet night, he is much more settled. Wound looking clean and intact.

Your advice was much appreciated,

Thank you once again,

Tricia.

Hello again,

I am just getting back in touch to see how your Lhasa Apso is getting on after the castration discomfort.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Scott,

Thank you for following up, my lahsa apso is now fine. The wound has healed well and he is settled at night. Full of energy during the day!

Your advice was bang on, thank you once again, great service.

Tricia.

Great news Tricia,

Glad to have been of service ...

Kindest regards,

Scott