Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

what are the symptoms for lung worm? my 3 year old Staffi keeps

what are the symptoms for lung worm? my 3 year old Staffi keeps eating or crunching on snails
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

Certainly good to be concerned about lung worms with snail ingestion, especially Paragonomous. The most common symptoms you might notice would include intermittent coughing, wheezing, trouble breathing, lethargy, exercise intolerance (unwilling to exercise), and weight loss. Sometimes blood in found sputum that is coughedup. Your vet can make a diagnosis by either direct examination of a sputum sample, or a fecal sedimentation. It is fairly straight forward to treat with a very specific dewormer.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I do want to add that In the United States, paragonimiasis is especially prevalent in areas of the Midwest, the Mississippi River Basin, and the Atlantic Coast.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.