Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my aged (14) Staffordshire Bull terrier has developed wobbly

my aged (14) Staffordshire Bull terrier has developed wobbly back legs is unsteady on laminate flooring. She doesn't seem to be in any pain but has a reduced appetite
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she having difficulty getting up from the floor or going up stairs?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Is she currently on any medications?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has difficulty getting up from the floor and upstairs otherwise she appears well. She is alert but not eating as much as usual. She wants to play with our grandchildren as usual but is only able to follow them with her wobbly gait. No pre-existing medical conditions and no medications.

Sandra

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can only give you a reasonable estimate of about 15kgs

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Sandra, what you describing in Brandy is consistent with arthritis of the hips, spine or both. When dogs are arthritic it becomes more evident on floor that have little traction. Though she may not appear in pain very often dogs that are arthritic do experience pain and this could explain why her appetite is off.
In this case, the best option for Brandy is to have her examined by family veterinarian and start her on a medication like Rimadyl (carprofen). Rimadyl will help with the inflammation associated with arthritis, she will feel much better. In addition, begin to supplement with glucosamine/chondroitin 200mg a day long term. You can buy glucosamine over the counter in any pet store.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter