Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hello, my Shih Tzu is 9 months old and started to spot - However

Customer Question

Hello, my Shih Tzu is 9 months old and started to spot - However I am now worried as she seems to be bleeding quite heavy, is that normal for a 1st season?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Please tell me : How is she in herself other than the symptoms you mentioned, is she quite well in herself and acting normally?

JACUSTOMER-b9k3j517- :

Yes, a very happy baby

Scott Nimmo :

Thanks for getting back to me, if that is the case the chances are that you have nothing to worry about. Nine months would be a normal time for her first season but in the dog the first season can sometimes be erratic, light or heavy or longer or shorter but after that her season should be " by the book "

JACUSTOMER-b9k3j517- :

How long will the bleeding last as my bed sheet needs changing!

Scott Nimmo :

The time to worry would be if the bleeding goes on for longer than 10 days or if she becomes unwell in any way ...

Scott Nimmo :

I have advised on this sort of situation many times over the years and almost all younger dogs like yours were just fine ...

JACUSTOMER-b9k3j517- :

Thank you kindly - does the season last a month and will she be safe to walk out on a lead?

Scott Nimmo :

The whole season will last for around three weeks from start to finish but they do not bleed for all of that time. It is safe to take her out as long as she does not attract too many male dogs ...

JACUSTOMER-b9k3j517- :

Bless you and thanks again - Bye x

Hello again Alison,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a week or so to check on your Shih Tzu's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours so please get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

If I can ever help you further then please contact me again via my profile LINK

Kindest regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo The Online Vet