Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our dog, 18 months old small cavapoo, both vomited once (producing

Our dog, 18 months old small cavapoo, both vomited once (producing a few blades of grass and a transparent fluid) and had one loose bowel movement that same day, four days ago. He was not eating. However, we introduced a little mild food - chicken and rice - the next day., He seemed to improve and was certainly drinking but today again he is off his food to the extent of not eating at all, doesn't drink, is restless and can't remain in one place. His stomach continually gurgles. He has worming and flea treatments Sunday night and was groomed on Monday morning. By that afternoon he was sluggish and in a malaise. It was later that day he vomited and had the loose bowel movement. We've booked an appointment with hsi regular vet for tomorrow morning but onder if there's any step we can beforehand and whether you have any guesses as to what might be going on.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear about your little one

Dr. Altman :

Has there been any new stressors to him the past few weeks? Is he used to getting groomed or is this a new occurrence?

Dr. Altman :

The cause can vary from stress enteritis (the groomer, new furniture, construction in the neighborhood) to something he could have potentially picked up at the park, groomer (although it sounds like the groomer was after the first round of illness?) as an example

Dr. Altman :

You can try an over the counter antacid such as pepcid (famotidine) or prilosec (omeprazole) to help settle his stomach and I can give you the dose once I have an estimate of his weight

Dr. Altman :

The not being able to get comfortable often is abdominal cramping, as long as he is not doing the "prayer" position which is laying down in the front and standing in the back hopefully the antacid will help settle his stomach

Customer:

He has been groomed before, although he may have found it stressful. He was in kennel for 8 nights a week ago, but seemed full of beans on collection. His stomach is slightly distended and hard.

Dr. Altman :

That is very common, doing great the first few days after boarding then suddenly developing some gi upset

Dr. Altman :

I do see it quite frequently and likely a combination of the stress of boarding then grooming has caused his normal gi flora/ bacteria to be "off" predisposing him to gi upset that he is currently experiencing

Dr. Altman :

How much does he weigh?

Customer:

5.5 k

Dr. Altman :

We call this a "stress enteritis"

Dr. Altman :

So if you have a pharmacy (human) available or perhaps have at home you can use famotidine 10 mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours or omeprazole 20 mg 1/4 tablet daily

Dr. Altman :

If he will allow you to take him on a walk that would also help reduce the abdominal cramping

Dr. Altman :

I do worry about this progressing to blood in his stool if not addressed so glad he is to see your vet tomorrow

Customer:

How do we get him to take the medicine? He is resistant to anything oral, e.g., a smear of maple syrup.

Dr. Altman :

You can crush it in some water and administer it with a syringe or turkey baster

Dr. Altman :

If he is refusing anything and it simply isn't possible I would stop pushing it

Dr. Altman :

He might be nauseous and taking anything orally will cause further bouts of vomiting so your vet might have to give injectable medication to stop the cycle

Dr. Altman :

CLICK HERE for information about stress enteritis which can result in a hemorrhagic enteritis as discussed in the article

Customer:

Good advice. We'll get the ant-acid asap. We have a had

Customer:

We have a hard ant-acid (Rennie) or gaviscon. Will either dissolve in water and be suitable?

Dr. Altman :

Give me a moment to review the ingredients...

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately tums or rennie is not very effective in dogs and would not help in this situation

Dr. Altman :

Gaviscon (aluminum hydroxide) is used in dogs but not in this situation for gi upset

Customer:

Ant-acid Alka-seltzer?

Dr. Altman :

Really the two I listed are the most effective in dogs

Dr. Altman :

And the ones prescribed by us

Dr. Altman :

Alka seltzer has no effect in this situation either

Customer:

ok, we'll go hunting an out-of-hours chemist. Many thanks for good advice and reassurance.

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome

Dr. Altman :

I truly hope he is feeling better soon!

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Dr. Altman :

If you are satisfied with our chat please "rate" excellent or good so I can be compensated for my time. Thank you