Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have today had my six and a half westie puppy spayed. The

Customer Question

I have today had my six and a half month westie puppy spayed. The vet said the operation was successful but just towards the end of the procedure her gums turned white and she had very low blood pressure and he said she had a "thrombotic" episode. I have got her back home and am monitoring her tonight. She ate some food when I first brought her back late afternoon and seems alert and aware of her surroundings. Obviously she is still very sleepy due to the anaesthetic. Do I need to worry about her due to this episode? The vet said that it is the first time for 18 years that he experienced this kind of reaction to what he said is a straightforward procedure. I am just worried about any complications or effects this may have on my lovely puppy. I would appreciate your advice.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. A "thrombotic episode" may not be correct. Thrombosis implies a blood clot(s) causing cardiovascular collapse which might present as hypoxia (white gums in this instance) and hypotension but we wouldn't expect such a patient to normalize as nicely as did Poppy. In most cases, hypotension is the culprit in dogs such as she and hypotension develops for many reasons. Her anesthetic level may have been too high. She may have underlying cardiovascular or lower respiratory disease. The anesthetic machine may have malfunctioned. The anesthetic agents she had been given may have been poorly tolerated by her.

The proof's in the pudding. If she wakes up tomorrow as normal as can be - perhaps still a bit sleepy from the anesthetic - you'll know that she didn't suffer a thrombotic episode. If she demonstrates a head tilt, ataxia ("drunken sailor"), or an alteration in mentation (mental status), we would be concerned about more serious central nervous system disorder.

I know it's late in the UK now and so I don't expect your responding at this time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your reply. She seems fine now, she woke up quite alert during the night and we had a cuddle. Then this morning she Seems responsive, has eaten and now barking at the cats in the back garden! She is definitely annoyed at having to wear the protective collar! Do you think she is fine?
I do! Thank you for the good update.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.