Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My friend recently purchased a Basset Hound puppy, on getting

My friend recently purchased a Basset Hound puppy, on getting him home he seemed normal and not in distress however his first stool was full of blood. The Pet store said this was normal but offered to take him to the vet on our behalf. So we took him back. Following up the next day they assured us that he was fine and there were no problems and the vet had given him a full bill of health. I asked for the details of the Vet so we could check with them directly as the whole thing had shaken up my friend and her family. The shop said they would call back with the details. we heard nothing and then chased them up the following day where we were told (by a younger teenage shop assistant) the dog was fine and was just on his way back from the vet but he had a mild ear infection. This raised some doubts,
Now we are at the point where we have decided that we can't really trust the shop and my friend has decided she can't cope with a potentially sick dog (she has a disabled toddler and were told the basset hounds passive nature made him ideal for interaction with her). Regretfully we have decided not to keep the puppy, the pet store says they will swap the puppy but not give a refund. They have no Basset hounds left and we don't really trust the store at this point. We'd like some advice as to weather blood in the stool is common in puppies and could correlate to an ear infection (which seems like a long shot really) and also if we have any rights when it comes to getting our money back.
Many thanks,
Gareth
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is the puppy with the store now or back with you?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The dog is currently at the shop.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Gareth, when we see blood in the stool it is never normal. It is a symptom of either an underlying gastrointestinal disorder or secondary to a systemic disease. In a puppy common causes are: Intestinal parasites, infections (parvo), ingestion of a foreign body, etc. to name a few causes. An ear infection does not cause bloody stool, ever; two different systems.
I am uncertain of the laws in your City, this is something to ask a lawyer. But, most areas do have laws that protect the consumer when purchasing pets. It does not sound like the puppy you bought was fit for sale. If the store is not willing to give you your money back the next call should be to your lawyer.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

O.K. thanks, ***** ***** help, that's as we thought. I wander if you have a Just Ask colleague in the UK who might be aware of the local laws.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Yes we do have UK law, you may want to speak to a property lawyer as pets generally are considered property. Please follow the link below for a UK lawyer.

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-remus2004/?rpt=3800

Dr. Peter