Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Hi. Can you help with this? I have a 10 ish year old labrador.

Customer Question

Hi. Can you help with this? I have a 10 ish year old labrador. I think he has a food allergy because he chews his feet and scratches his ears. I know I have to ascertain what is upsetting him but can he be fed on dried food ? Wet food is really expensive which is fine if that is what he needs but its not achieving anything as far as I can see.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

From what you have told me, it appears that Remus is suffering from an allergic reaction that could be due to many things such as fleas, pollen , foods.

For now , follow these instructions:

1. Give Remus Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
  2. Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
  3. Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.

If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results. Because of Remus's age, there is a chance that he may be suffering from a Hypothyroid condition that can cause these types of skin issues so have your vet test him for this. This can also be due to an Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder, especially chewing at his paws. This causes a habit and a cirle effect since he chews and irritates the skin causing him to chew more and so on. Breaking this habit is difficult but keeping Remus busy by taking him for more walks, giving him long lasting toys such as a Kong to pkay with will help.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Thanks for this but he doesn't have any red or inflammed areas that I can see. He is a black lab so it is difficult to tell but I've investigated a number of potential causes already. The vet did tests for a dust mite allergy or something similar to that to no avail. I think it must be food. He gets lots of exercise. I don't mind spending money on him if thats what he needs but I rather suspect there is an economical way of doing it that I just don't know!

HI Jo....there is a Hypoallergenic food produced by Royal Canin or Science Diet ZD which has hydrolyzed protiens that have no allergens and this is worth trying along with the Benadryl or antihistamine. I still would ask your vet about a Hypothyroid condition since this is very common.

Try this first before going through anything else, Jo...it may help.
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Thank you so much, Jo, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Remus feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!