Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi, my Lhasa Apso dog keeps vomiting/regurgitating his food.

Hi, my Lhasa Apso dog keeps vomiting/regurgitating his food. Sometimes he will heave but other times it just seems to fall out his mouth. It has happened at least 8 times today. He seems fine in himself but I worry that it has been happening for nearly a week now and my vet can't see him until Monday. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is your dog?
2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
3- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, he is 5 years old and as far as I know has not eaten anything out of the ordinary. He has however been sleeping much more than usual. He is a bit overweight at approx 10kg.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
2- Can you take his rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
His gums are actually quite red. I am unable to take temperature.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do until he is seen by family veterinarian:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep him in a cool room when fasting.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Place his eating bowl on top of a small stool to force him to raise his head while eating. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If he continues to vomit after doing the above I would have him checked by ER vet, do not wait until Monday.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter