Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

how can I stop my rescue dog from eating its poo

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

This is a nasty thing to do by human standards but dogs actually do this quite commonly. I used to have two collie cross mongrels myself which have since passed away, due to old age I hasten to add. One of them habitually ate faeces, not only her own but other dog's faeces as well. She was very healthy and as a vet's dog very well fed and looked after but she still did it, probably just because she liked to.

Scott Nimmo :

There are a number of described reasons why your dog might do this and I will list them below :

1. As I said it can just be a habit and they do it for no other reason than they like doing so, young dogs often quickly grow out of the habit by the way.

2. If they are on a high quality dog food which is rich in protein there may be undigested food in the faeces which is attractive to the dog. You see the dog cannot digest all of this type of food. The remedy is to put the dog on a lower plane of feeding { cheaper brand } .

3. This habit is more common in puppies or adolescent dogs and is often associated with dogs which are under stimulated or left alone for to long a period. It is also known to be more common in puppies that are left in cages for to long.

4. It has been said that eating their own faeces is common in dogs which are lacking nutrients in their diets but these days with modern dog foods that is open to debate.

The above is the mental list I used when I talked to clients about this problem, the truth is we often never find out the real cause.

Scott Nimmo :

If it becomes a habit there are a number of things I advised clients to do, and some clients have reported success with these measures. You can sprinkle paprika pepper or a similar hot sauce on to your dog's faeces as soon as she passes them if you can catch him in the act, the message might get through that way.

There is a product made called For-Bid (available from your vet or on-line) that you sprinkle on his food and it has been shown to have some success in stopping this behaviour.

Another thing that you can try is to sprinkle meat tenderiser sprinkled on the food. Some owners have reported success with this method.

Adding some pineapple juice to your dogs food that is said to help. Again this substance will make your dogs faeces more distasteful.

Scott Nimmo :

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Hello again Maureen,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of weeks to check on Elsa's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours so please get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

If I can ever help you further then please contact me again via my profile LINK

Kindest regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo The Online Vet