Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Please How do I stop my newfoundland being sick in the

Customer Question

Please How do I stop my newfoundland bitch being sick in the car
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Well one of the best things you can try { If you have not already done so } is to pick up a prescription drug called acetyl promazine from your vet. This is an effective anti car sick drug and it can be very effective. It works by blocking one of the cranial nerves from the balance mechanism in the inner ear. It is a very safe drug.

Scott Nimmo :

You do see various non prescription products advertised on the internet and on sale at pet shops etc. but sadly these are never effective in my experience.

Scott Nimmo :

Also { or combined with the above } start by taking your dog for very short trips each day, so short in fact that she does not get a chance to be sick and then make a fuss of her. The object is to gradually extend the length of these trips but stop the car is she becomes nauseous in the initial stages ... I have known this to be effective as well.

Scott Nimmo :

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott