Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I always frontline my 2 border collies monthly - last treatment

Customer Question

I always frontline my 2 border collies monthly - last treatment was last week however they are both constantly scratching and nagging at their backs and both have red sores which I have been putting sudocream on. What can I do to relieve them of itchiness?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It sounds as if your dogs have developed a flea saliva allergy. Frontline is a good choice but dogs with this kind of allergy need only be bitten twice by a flea to become intensely pruritic (itchy). This is addressed with a prescription glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone which is available through your vet. Antihistamines aren't reliably effective for this type of allergy.
We're finding that some populations of fleas have developed a resistance to the fipronil in Frontline. Your vet can recommend one of the newer prescription flea products. Sudocream may be helpful but the anesthetic ingredient is too weak to be fully effective. A steroid-containing cream (hydrocortisone, e.g.) would be more effective but topicals aren't a practical approach when so much skin is involved and particularly when ulceration of the skin is already present. In fact, your vet may elect to initiate systemic antibiotic therapy if secondary infection is now present concomitant to that allergic dermatitis.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.