Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog has had fleas but has been treated with Advance. She

My dog has had fleas but has been treated with Advance. She is still scratching and I have found tiny tiny black spots around her tail which move slightly when touched
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

Oh how frustrating for you and Holly! We are experiencing resistance with some flea products (primarily those with fipronil as the main ingredient). It sounds like you are going to need to use a different product. My suggestion would be to ask your vet about trying the new oral chewable (NexGard). This is one of our newest and most effective flea and tick products. It works for 30 days and no need to rely on a topical application. The dogs love the flavor as well; so fairly easy to administer.

Dr. Joey :

The NexGard is prescription. You may be able to this weekend start her on Capstar which is not usually prescription. Capstar is a tablet but it only works for 24 hours. You could use it once daily for Saturday and Sunday and then on Monday ask your vet about the alternative product.

For itching you can certainly use an an antihistamine such as diphenhydramine at a dose of 1 mg per pound every 12 hours.

And you need to treat the environment. I recommend vacuum indoors (if she is allowed indoors) every 2 to 3 days for 3 weeks. If you have a lot of carpets, you can use Borax laundry detergent (boric acid) -- sprinkle the powder over the carpet, work into carpet fibers with a broom, and then leave down for 24 hours. Vacuum up. It is safe for pets, kids and adults. The boric acid helps dessicate (dry) the flea larvae and egss.

Dr. Joey :

An alternative explanation for why the topical might not be working well is if her skin was compromised when used then it might be that is the problem (it requires normally functioning skin and hair follicles to work properly). There are other topicals you can discuss trying with your vet such as Revolution (selamectin), if you prefer a topical.

Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience: 15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.