Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My German shepherd is on atopica tablets 100g 2 aday shes

Customer Question

My German shepherd is on atopica tablets 100g 2 aday she's been on them for 3 years now . Our insurance will not cover us any more. What are our options. We have been getting them from anime direct because they was cheaper
Category: Dog
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about getting Atopica for your dog.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I have been off line a few days, and just saw your question. I am sorry you did not get any help yet.

Do you still need help? What condition is being treated with Atopica?

Let me know if I can be of help. Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has atopica for perinatal furunculosis

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
You can try using generic cyclosporine; it is less expensive than Atopica. However, it does not work as well for all dogs as the brand name Atopica.

There is a also a trick to stretch out the Atopica: grapefruit. Grapefruit makes Atopica last longer in the body. Some people give their dogs 4 to 6 ounces of grapefruit juice, or use grapefruit juice powder if the dog won't drink the juice, and find they can reduce the dose of cyclosporine by half.

Another option is a medication called tacrolimus; an ointment that is used for this condition. It is by prescription.

Let me know what else I can answer.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What insurance company will cover my dog . It cost us £500 every 3 months from an on line chemist

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am in the US, and don't know anything about insurance in the UK. I thought your question was about options with the Atopica.

I will opt out, and and I hope you can get help from another expert.

Please do not respond back to me, or rate my answer as that may prevent another expert from taking your question.

Rebecca