Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

can u tell me why my dog is on furosemide.

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Furosemide is what is called a loop diuretic drug

Scott Nimmo :

It basically works to assist the kidneys in removing excessive fluid from the body, it is used in both humans and dogs and cats

Customer:

I am not understanding what is diuretic loop???

Scott Nimmo :

Examples of diseases it is used to treat would be heart failure, fluid in the lungs { pulmonary oedema } or fluid in the abdomen.

Scott Nimmo :

Sorry that is just the drugs name or general class, the important thing is that this drug acts to remove excess fluid from the body.

Scott Nimmo :

And fluid build up can be an important symptom with some serious diseases

Customer:

my vet told me it was for my dogs heart,he informed me she had fluid around her heart as her heart beat was 125?

Scott Nimmo :

I thought your dog would have some of heart condition, where the heart is less efficient due to disease then fluid build up in the chest can occur, furosemide can greatly help with heart disease in the dog

Scott Nimmo :

unfortunately it does not actually cure the disease but helps with the symptoms, but there is not problem with long term usage

Scott Nimmo :

You may find it has been prescribed with another drug such as enalapril , this is the classic water tablet plus heart tablet combination

Scott Nimmo :

I have known dogs go on for many months with a good quality of life on these sorts of drugs

Customer:

my vet informed me that she should pick up in a day or so,she seem's a lot worse not eating or moveing wetting her dog bed all the time?

Scott Nimmo :

Well with heart disease there can be no guarantees but often this drug does greatly help. Unfortunately one of the side effects can be excess drinking plus excess urination and then she may wet her bed. When this happens I generally reduce the dose down a bit ...

Scott Nimmo :

Furosemide is usually dosed at between 1 to 3 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given between one to four times per day.

Scott Nimmo :

If she getting a lot worse then you should have her vet check her over again, it could be another class of drug or drug combination could work better, there are quite a few options ...

Scott Nimmo :

Heart disease in a dog of fourteen is quite serious of course ...

Customer:

my dog seem's to cough a lot then try's to bring it up?

Scott Nimmo :

But in this age group it is also possible that she is getting worse because some other disease process is going on ...

Scott Nimmo :

Coughing is generally a symptom of congestive cardiac failure in the dog, this is because of fluid build up in the chest which is part of the heart disease ... The fact furosemide is not taking care of this is a bad sign I am afraid ..

Customer:

do I need to take her to an emergency vet as she is just not moveing unless I pick her up to wee in the garden,she has not had a poo in 2 days.

Scott Nimmo :

It does sound to me that she should be seen as soon as possible, so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing then seeing an emergency vet now is the way to go. Be aware though that the usual heart disease in the dog is very different from the heart attack type heart disease that occurs in people, in most cases if she is kept quiet she would be OK to wait overnight to see the vet tomorrow. { no guarantees though }

Customer:

it seem's that I am not getting through to you as I have not got a reaply from u ???

Hello again John,

Must be a bug ...

You should be able to see the replies this way, please confirm you can read it OK

Sorry for the inconvenience
Hello again John,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of days to check on Betty's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours so please get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

If I can ever help you further then please contact me again via my profile LINK

Kindest regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo The Online Vet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help,unfortunatly betty passed away on Monday

morning before I could get to the vets.

Kindest regards,

John Mcguire

I am so sorry to hear that John ...

Regards,

Scott
Hello again John,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Betty is getting on with her heart condition.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott