Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

We have a 1 year old unspayed lurcher. she was 11 months old

Customer Question

We have a 1 year old unspayed lurcher. she was 11 months old with her first heat that was normal,this was 2 1/2months ago. Five or six weeks after her break ended two teats between her back legs to show a bit of enlargement. She has been biting at her waist, agitating her rear end. she had her anal glands checked two weeks after her break and they were not full.She is eating, drinking, playing, toiliting and exercising just fine. this evening she seemed distressed,moaning, and walking with back legs down to the floor. We examined her and held her on our laps and she allowed us to express some clear/sticky fluid from those swollen teats. she was not exhibiting pain and appeared somewhat relieved-but now is subdued, and unusually quite(yet not asleep). What could be wrong?
Thank you for your attention-our vet 's office is closed tomorrow though there is an emergency number.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Tara's mammary enlargement and discharge from her teats indicates pseudocyesis (false pregnancy) - a normal development in all dogs at this time after a heat cycle although most dogs don't progress to discharging from their mammary glands. These glands can become secondarily infected and so it would be prudent to have Tara examined by her vet and the discharge checked microscopically to see if infection needs to be tended to. Her biting at her waist, being distressed, vocalizing, and walking in the manner you've described does suggest that those glands are bothering her.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou....Just wondered why if when we expressed the two lowest teats(the other's were not swollen) the liquid would be clear and odorless-not milky at all. Tara seems to be back to her old young self...Cool we will go ahead with a vet appointment tomorrow

You're quite welcome. It takes more than the progesterone produced by her corpora lutea (the structures that form when ovarian follicles degenerate)for actual milk to be produced and let down. Other hormones are necessary (prolactin, e.g.) and these aren't produced unless she's actually pregnant and quite far along in her pregnancy.
I'm pleased to hear that Tara is feeling better. I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Tara, please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We took Tara to the vet-Monday /AM..She thought definately was a pseudo pregnancy and was not worried about infection. She thought the fluid in teats though clearish on Saturday when we expressed it would be starting to go more milky She explained this can be quite common in females and is triggered by perhaps being in contact with puppies or even human babies. So happens just after her first heat my nephew visited from Canada with his twin baby daughters. The timing fit as this was the end of May.The vet prescribed "Galastop Oral"(cabergoline) 1.6 ml with food for five days. Her first dose was Monday PM- she vomited over night. We read the info sheet that said"vomiting or anorexia may occur after the first one or two doses in a small proportion of cases...no need to discontinue treatment unless persists after second dose". Gave second doseTuesday AM (she was eating fine) by that afternoon she puked again. Fed her dinner later on (no dose) ate ok but puked again five hours later that night..Needless to say we did not give her a third dose-called the vet who said she just must not tolerate the medicine-discontinue all together and the pseudo-preg will resolve shortly anyway.

So it seems- as there is no more swelling and she is up to her old active antics.28£ for your advice +40£ from local vet-we are reassured and will know what we might expect next time. Regardless of all the worry and mess- she's worth every penny..and I'm glad to know there is help available..even on line.

Thank you for your attention!

Thank you for taking the time to update me. Yes, administering the dopamine agonists such as cabergoline can reduce the digestive side effects but If you don't need to give it, don't give it. My best to Tara.

Please disregard the info request.