Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

diarrhea lite brown toilet,soft toilet.

Customer Question

diarrhea lite brown toilet,soft toilet.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
3- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

5 days. eat nothing out of ordinary.no more symtoms.

Has been in contact with dog that is very thin and supposed to have

a bacterial infection.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

5 days. Not eaten any thing out of the ordinary, No other syptoms.

Has been in contact with a thin dog who is suppose to have got

a bacterial infection

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
What type of bacterial infection does the other dog have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

don't know. Owner didn't know much, but dog has been given

anitbiotics

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
It is unlikely for Mia to develop diarrhea by only coming in contact with another dog without coming in contact with his/her feces. Diarrhea can be caused by dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet. Keep Mia indoors while fasting in a cool room.

3- Supplement Mia on a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24-48 hours I would have Mia checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter