Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Labrador had tumer taken out last year now she has a bad smell

Customer Question

Labrador had tumer taken out last year now she has a bad smell from bottom
er
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This certainly sounds concerning. If the smell is from her hind end the first aspect that must be considered is if she has an anal sac problem (the anal sacs are just inside the anus and release a foul almost fish-smelling fluid that is designed to mark the stool) such as infection or they are over full. You should have your veterinarian (or veterinary technician) express these to check; sometimes your vet hospital might offer to have these expressed without requiring an office visit and then can tell you if this is a problem. If they are overfull then evacuating them might resolve the problem.

Dr. Joey :

If we are certain there is no anal sac problem then she is going to require an exam to determine if she is having a stool problem (infection, diarrhea, etc) or has skin inefection somewhere (yeast, bacterial) or if this is perhaps a urinary tract infection problem. If you already know the source of the odor, then please let me know.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.