Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

i have a 6 yr old german shepherd dog that has no health issues

i have a 6 yr old german shepherd dog that has no health issues other than yeast infection in his ears. yesturday he was sick twice and has the runs, he was lethargic looked sad and sleeping a lot.
today he is his usual self barking a lot drinking although not eating much so e thaught he probably has eaten something or picked up a bug. i am worried as he just went for a poo it is still runny like but it was like a thick blood instead of poo.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?
2- Is he on any medications?
3- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi, he has always been healthy not on any meds not sure of his weight but he is a very large gsd.

he doesnt seem to be loosing weight.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, the thick blood you are seeing is mucus with blood, this is common when there is inflammation in the colon, he has colitis. Which explains why he was vomiting, lethargic and off food. There are many possible causes for colitis in dogs. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, intestinal parasites or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do until he is seen by your family veterinarian:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep him indoors in a cool room when fasting. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when you say a probiotic can i give him apure natural yoghurt as he loves that i always gave him that with the yeast infections and it helped a lot /

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
I am not a fan of giving dairy to dogs as they are lactose intolerant which will cause diarrhea. Plus, using something like Fortiflora will have a higher concentration of probiotics than plain yogurt. It is best you pick up a probiotic in your local pet store.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok 1 last thing because i will be stopping his water wont he dehydrate as he is always drinking water i know he will look for it when i take it away.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
He will be fine for a short period of 8-12 hours, if he continues to have diarrhea he will not be absorbing any fluid causing dehydration. The idea is to give his gastrointestinal time to rest so that when you do offer water he is able to absorb the water.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thanku so much i am really gratefull.

kind regards

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome Smile

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.