Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my pug is three years old ithought she was coming into season

Customer Question

my pug is three years old ithought she was coming into season but there is a red lump the size of a grape coming out of her vagina she does not seem uncomfortable just now can you help please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Super. You're seeing either vaginal hyperplasia or vaginal prolapse. An edematous swelling of the vaginal mucosa occurs secondary to estrogen stimulation and it may progress to vaginal protrusion through the vulvar lips as it has done in Super.
Our treatment goals are to prevent drying, necrosis, and devitalization of exposed vaginal tissue, prevent future recurrence, and prevent urethral obstruction. We insert a urethral catheter to relieve obstruction when present, ensure that vaginal tissue is kept clean, apply topical applications of sterile water-soluble lubrication or antibiotic ointment, apply an Elizabethan collar or protective pants to avoid self mutilation, provide a clean environment to minimize tissue trauma, and recognize that spontaneous regression at the end of estrus is common. You may also schedule an ovariohysterectomy (spay) which prevents recurrence and may hasten resolution; regression of tissue is reported to occur within 21 days post spay.
Please have Super looked at by her vet who will determine how much of the above needs to be done and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. Because she's not demonstrating symptoms of distress at this time, you can simply make sure that the "red lump" stays clean (soap and water will suffice) and moist by coating it with a sterile moisturizer such as KY jelly. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Super, please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes hello super has been to the vets and has received treatment for her prolapse and is recovering well she has not been spayed yet as she is in season thankyou for your help love Amanda and Super

That's good to hear. Thank you for letting me know.

My best to Super!

Please disregard the info request.