Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 10 month year old Male Cocker Spaniel has just eaten 400mg-600mg

My 10 month year old Male Cocker Spaniel has just eaten 400mg-600mg (2-3 tablets) of Aciclovir tablets for humans. The tablets are for Herpes see link:
http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/medicineoverview.aspx?condition=Viral%20infections&medicine=aciclovir
What should we do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

400 mg acyclovir is a possible cause for concern in a dog of your one's size.

Scott Nimmo :

You should make your dog sick at once { as you are doing } for the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK I f you recover the tablets that way then all well and good. If you fail to recover the tablets you should contact an ER vet without delay.

Scott Nimmo :

This drug is potentially toxic and could well cause Max problems so if you do not manage to induce vomiting yourself then take him without delay to a local vet, they will easily be able to induce vomiting with prescription drugs

Scott Nimmo :

Signs of toxicity in the dog will include vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, and lethargy. There is no specific antidote but treatment should include standard decontamination procedures such as induction of emesis, administration of activated charcoal, diuresis, and supportive care.

Scott Nimmo :

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott