Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

hair loss through scratching and biting, allergy symptons.

Customer Question

hair loss through scratching and biting, allergy symptons. Tested for a positive reaction to storage mites at age 2yrs, retested two months ago age 6 yrs, showed negative across the board for allergies? Now trying to sort out if maybe food problem, but is there a overall cream that can be used to try to reduce the itching. The special shampoo's tried, do not have the desired effect. And also, is there a faster way to test for food allergies.?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear that you are worried about Dino. My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
You can use topical cream or ointment containing hydrocortisone on itchy skin lesions, but it should not be used over the whole body. He would absorb too much of the cortisone. You can use it twice daily on a few itchy spots.
Do not use tea tree oil on itchy inflamed spots; it can be absorbed into the body and blood stream and can make dogs sick in those cases.
Oatmeal shampoo can help reduce itching all over the body. Giving fish oil by mouth can also be anti inflammatory.
Have you tried anti histamines for the itching? You can give 1 milligram per pound of body weight of Benedryl (diphenhydramine) 2 to 3 times daily, or Claritin (loratidine) 2.5 to 5 mg once daily. Be sure to get an antihistamine with no other "cold symptom relievers" added, just the single ingredient. Pseudoephedrine is very toxic to dogs.
There is a product applied to the skin called AllerDerm that help to build up the skin's natural barrier to allergens.
Giving an allergic dog probiotics can be helpful in support the immune system. I like ones made especially for dogs, like Proviable and Fortiflora.
There are blood tests for diagnosing food allergies, but most of the specialists and dermatologists do not think they are reliable. The "gold standard" to diagnose food allergies is to change the diet to a single "novel" protein, and stick with only that for 6 to 8 weeks.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can answer or help with.
Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer, I will certainly look into the AllerDerm product, as we are trying to do the food testing side it will take some time, as he is a poor eater most of the time, but eats better when he has doggy friends visit. I am assuming that this AllerDerm I can use all over him, as his paws, legs, backend, sides, and a little on his back are all sore and red, more than usual due to trying to suss out what effects him. I will also look into the Probiotics. Thank you.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome. Thank you for the good rating1

Rebecca