Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

kennel cough

Customer Question

kennel cough
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did you have a question about Kennel Cough?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name is***** I have a 11/12 year old female Yorkshire terrier. About 7 years ago, I suffered an accident, and couldn't take her for walks, and so she hasn't been to a vet since, because we don't take her out.

My middle son, recently got a dog from a pound, which was diagnosed with kennel cough. He had introduced it to my younger son's dog, who happened to come round and visit us. He has now been diagnosed with kennel cough.

Tilly, my yorkie, has started dry coughing/retching. We have given her honey, (which she is not keen on, she will only take it with a treat) There are financial implications about going to a vet, and what i have read, suggests that she will get better of her own accord. But maybe she needs a cough suppressant.

She is a bit overweight, and seems a bit sorry for herself, but otherwise OK. She has made a couple of mistakes, with loose bowels.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- So, it is fair to say the coughing started after she came in contact with your son's dog, correct?
2- How much does she weigh?
3- Any nasal discharge?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1) correct

2) 5.7kg

3) none

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Jim, kennel cough is highly contagious as you have noticed. It can be caused by viruses or bacterias. Very often dogs are able to recover without any treatment; basically they have a dog cold. In some cases we need to treat with antibiotics when the disease is caused by a bacteria. If you are not seeing any thick, yellowish nasal discharge it is very likely to be viral and does not need antibiotics, her immune system will clear it up. In the meantime you can start her on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy Robitussin over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). If she becomes lethargic, a moist cough, thick yellowish nasal discharge, etc. then she should be seen by family veterinarian for oral antibiotics.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, very much. I feel a lot better now,

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome Jim.