Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

HI TOOK MY LITTLE GIRL CKCS TO THE VETS FOR ROUTINE BOOSTERS

HI TOOK MY LITTLE GIRL CKCS TO THE VETS FOR ROUTINE BOOSTERS AND TO HAVE HER ANAL glands sorted this was 3 weeks ago this weekend she started weeping smelly fluid from her backside cleaned her up trimmed her hair but this is still happening any help please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.I'm sorry to read of the problem you're having with your little girl pup. What you've described is very common. The anal glands produce a foul-smelling substance, and it takes as little as two weeks for the substance to again fill the emptied gland sacs after having been removed. The solution is quite straightforward, the glands simply need to be emptied again. In most cases this second emptying will solve the problem for some time, although it can recur at any time after two weeks.The body tries to fill dead space, and the empty glands are an ideal site to produce and store more of the musky liquid. One or more repetitions of the gland emptying are usually needed to allow the area to calm down and stop overproducing the anal gland secretions. These glands can be surgically removed, and should be, if the problem becomes chronic, recurring at frequent intervals. Your veterinarian or a knowledgeable groomer is able to empty these glands for you. If you should have further questions, please let me know.Kind regards, *****