Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my mum has a patterdale / ***** ***** cross, she was recently

my mum has a patterdale / ***** ***** cross, she was recently very poorly, n ot eating had black stools, was been sick (and had completely lost her bounce and personality) with a lot of fluid around her stomach, which has now been drained. she was diagnosed with a tumour on her liver and they thought she had a week or so left to live, that was the end of may, she has since had a couple of set backs but her bounce and personality have returned, the fluid has stopped bulding up, but she has lost so much weight even though her appetite has increased, i feel that she may have another condition which has been masked by the tumour, do you have any ideas and is it worth asking the vet to do blood tests for perhaps a thyroid or gland condition as apart from her quite dramatic weight lost she seems happy and fine.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to learn Kelly is not feeling well. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Do you know of the test your vet has done?
2- Is she drinking more than usual?
3- Is she currently on any medications? If so, what are the names?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

she s had an ultra sound, and some bloods, but id have to find out what for.

she has been drinking more, but we were told to expect that .

she s had a couple of courses of antibiotics and she been on furosemide.

she was on furosemide untill a couple of days ago, but the fluid around her stomach hasnt returned.

all her syptoms she started with have gone , but now shes quite hungry (she started to steal of plates, which she has never done before)and lost a lot of weight, very noticable in her face.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, when dogs have thyroid disorders it is usually a decrease in thyroid levels and those patients normally gain weight; I don't believe this is related to a thyroid problem. It is rare for a dog have an increase in thyroid production (hyperthyroidism) and when they do it is often associated with cancer of the thyroid gland. If your vet has done an abdominal ultrasound this test will allow them to look in the abdomen at the liver and all of the organs. So, if they have diagnosed her with a liver tumor it is very likely her weight loss is directly related to the tumor (cancer). You see, patients with cancer loose weight as a result of what is called "cachexia of paraneoplastic syndrome." Basically, this means that they will loose a lot weight part of having cancer despite of normal food intake.
Can there be other causes causing weight lost and increase water consumption? Yes, things like Diabetes, kidney disease, etc. will cause the same symptoms. However, having a history of a liver tumor the most likely cause is the tumor in the liver. I don't believe doing additional testing is going to provide anymore information as it seems like your vet has covered all of the posssible causes. But, it would not hurt to ask to make sure they did run a complete blood count and chemistry profile and ruled out the above mentioned diseases.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.