Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My German shepherd has just fallen in a canal and although

My German shepherd has just fallen in a canal and although I have managed to get her out and clean her and get her warm, does I need to call out a vet for a shot of antibiotics as she has swallowed some of the filthy water? Thankyou
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

Unless this was a sewage canal, she was injured with a cut/ wound, or is showing signs of distress you should be fine monitoring for any signs of gi upset versus an injection or oral antibiotics

Dr. Altman :

Typically we will only do preventative antibiotics if warranted in the situation but this would be a bit more proactive then I would advise for my own pets so wouldn't advise it for yours either unless she is showing signs this might be necessary

Dr. Altman :

Glad you were able to get her home, cleaned off, and warm. It sounds like it was quite an eventful day!

Customer:

Thank you very much for that. It has put my mind at ease. It is not a sewage canal but does run along the edge of farmers fields and she is 13 years old and thought I was going to loose her, so thank you x

Dr. Altman :

That is very scary...glad she is ok

Dr. Altman :

Do you know if the farmer's fields have been sprayed lately?

Dr. Altman :

If so, you might want to bathe her again in 24 hours with ten minute contact time of shampoo prior to rinsing it off...

Dr. Altman :

And minimizing her licking/ grooming until you repeat...

Dr. Altman :

Glad she is alright, that really must have been terribly scary.

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer:

Yes it has, so I will do that, she loves her baths so I'm sure she won't complain. Thankyou

Dr. Altman :

Perfect, good luck to you both...she will definitely sleep well tonight!