Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 8 month old King Charles cavalier puppy seems to be walking

My 8 month old King Charles cavalier puppy seems to be walking with his hind legs very close together . I have only noticed this this morning , he seems to be sitting down a lot not as active as normal. He is a healthy dog and has been checked when a pup for hip dysplasia
Any advice would be great thanks,
Regards ***** *****
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Well, it is not necessarily indicative of a problem unless:
1. There is limping
2. Rufus, continues to walk in that way
3. There is pain
4. There is poor appetite and he is very weak
Hip dysplasia cannot really be ruled-out at this age. You would probably want to have x-rays performed in a few months.
Some dogs with neurologic deficits due to an issue like a disc herniation in the spine can walk as described. But, Rufus, would be far worse if that were the case.
So, at this point, nothing is really indicated, unless Rufus continues to appear lethargic (sitting a lot), exhibiting difficulty walking, or other illness manifests.
Good Luck
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Otherwise, select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy