Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have a small Yorkshire Terrier that has small lump on her

Customer Question

I have a small Yorkshire Terrier that has small lump on her back and at the base of back and she keep licking and chewing at them. she makes them red and sore
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Millie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

There are some topical applications that might make them not feel irritated or itchy, such as Derma Cool that contains a topical anesthetic, or an ointment like Cortaid that contains hydrocortisone. However, the only way to stop a dog chewing at these lumps that they get is to have them removed.

I know as soon as you have them removed, she just grows more of them, and it can be annoying and costly to keep having surgery done. I have seen dogs with dozens of these lumps. There is no ointment that can remove them, just the ones I mentioned that may reduce her wanting to lick and chew at them.

Please let me know what else I can answer, or help with.

Rebecca