Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 4 yr old lab has suddenly started to breath rapidly, should

Customer Question

My 4 yr old lab has suddenly started to breath rapidly, should this cause concern? Seems happy in every other way?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he panting?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
3- How is the temperature where he is at?
4- Any other symptoms?
5- How long has this been going on?
6- Can you take his rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. Different from panting, even when in his bed the breathing is rapid. Sometimes a grunting like snore too
2 no vomiting or diarrhoea
3 He's in the kitchen and it's neither warm/cold, moderate
4 No other symptoms
5 has been going on for approx 2 hrs
6 I don't have a thermometer sorry!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Can you take his respiration rate for 1 minute? Remember one expiration + one inspiration is 1 breath.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's 69, per minute, he seems to have calmed down a bit because it was 75 earlier. Still loud and grunting sound with the breathing.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, the normal respiratory rate in a dog is between 10-30 b.p.m. When we see increases in respiration without physical activity or heat (panting) the immediate concern is an underlying heart or lung disease. Other possible causes could be pain, stress, anemia, etc. to name a few causes. In this case, the fact that he is not showing any other symptoms I would recommend a hands on examination by family veterinarian as soon you can. Important to rule out heart or lung disease.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter