Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My dog pants excessively and loudly even before we get out

Customer Question

My dog pants excessively and loudly even before we get out of front door ,my vet couldn't fine anything physically wrong with him but it's not getting any better ,he eats okay and drinks plenty of water without any difficulty,I'm baffled
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

I have a few questions for you to assess what might be going on with Ben.

Dr. Susan :

1) What breed of dog is he?

Dr. Susan :

2) How long has the loud panting been going on?

Dr. Susan :

3) Do you notice any new problems with snoring or coughing?

Dr. Susan :

4) Any trouble with swallowing when he eats or drinks?

Customer: He's a greyhound
Customer: A greyhound / about 6 months/ no trouble with eating or drinking
Dr. Susan :

I'm very suspicious of a condition known as laryngeal paralysis.

Dr. Susan :

This can cause the changes that you are seeing.

Dr. Susan :

This can only be diagnosed by putting the dog under sedation/anesthesia and looking directly at the larynx to see if the parts are not moving normally.

Dr. Susan :

In the meantime, avoid any situations when he will need to breathe heavily. That includes increased excitement,

Dr. Susan :

exercise, and heat.

Dr. Susan :

There are surgical treatments to help with laryngeal paralysis, but they have risks as well.

Dr. Susan :

Here is a link to read more about laryngeal paralysis.

Dr. Susan :

I recommend scheduling a consult with a surgeon. The surgeon can discuss if his signs are significant enough to warrant surgery. Then, they can confirm under anesthesia and proceed directly into surgery if that is what you decide.

Dr. Susan :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer: My husband could have told me that and he's not a vet
Dr. Susan :

Well, you said you were "baffled". I gave you a likely diagnosis. Can you tell me what else you were looking for here? Perhaps I can still help you.

Customer: I'm taking him back to vet