Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

12 month old puppy with a temp of 106, fluid coming from the

Customer Question

12 month old puppy with a temp of 106, fluid coming from the nose, had a lump on her ribs but going down now struggling to sit and jump on the furniture. she had two broken ribs last month, broken near the spine.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
This sounds extremely concerning for your dog. A temperature of 106 is a critical emergency. This is in the range that we consider all internal organs (including the brain) at extreme risk for damage/failure. At this excessive fever, I must recommend you take him to be seen on emergency immediately. He will need intravenous fluid therapy and treatment to work to reduce this fever. Do NOT try to do this at home because if done too quickly, then this too could cause damage. As well, you may not be able to reduce the fever at home because we need to determine why he is running such a high fever.
With a history of trauma (fractured rib and secondary lump) and then the fluid from the nose I am very worried about significant internal infection such as in his chest (outside of his lungs). This can happen if there is a perforating injury such as a rib fracture. This is going to need to be treated aggressively with IV therapy through your vet, and may require some testing (at least an xray and some lab work) to try to determine what is going on. If not at this high temperature and the signs you report, his prognosis is not good.
I am not sure what questions specifically you are asking. If your vet simply prescribed antirobe and did not offer additional testing and treatment (such as hospitalization with IV fluid and therapy), then I must recommend you seek out a second opinion or go to your local emergency facility immediately.
I am here to answer whatever questions you have and hope to be of any assistance I can. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.