Dr. Laurie
Dr. Laurie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship trained small animal veterinarian. Interestes: internal medicine, dermatology & oncology
40350296

My dog had glands removed 4th july 2014. After 4 weeks

Customer Question

My dog had anal glands removed 4th july 2014. After 4 weeks the tumour had returned. Pathology results were bad. The tumour has regrown and my vet said it has ulcerated and had given antibiotics which cleared up the smell. I have now got more antibiotics but my vet said she would not be able to give them again as my dog will be in pain and best to pts which i am heartbroken about.
My dog is still eating,drinking,going for walks, bright eyed and as normal apart from difficulty having a poo but does one evetually.
I know the cancer is not going to get better and her life is very short now but i cannot bring myself to have her put to sleep because to me she is not telling me she is in pain. My vet said she doesnt think my dog will show me if she is suffering so best to let her go?
Any advise
Thank You
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Laurie replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Laurie :

Hello, My name is***** I am so sorry to hear about Missy’s diagnosis. When a pet has an anal gland tumor that gets infected it can often be uncomfortable and painful for a pet. I would recommend trying to find a veterinary oncologist in your area to see if Missy would be a candidate for radiation therapy. Radiation therapy can often shrink the tumors and make pets more comfortable. Oncologists would also be able to offer chemotherapy options and chemo is generally tolerated much better in dogs then people so the side effects are usually very tolerable and most pets have a really good quality of life while on chemo. If you are unable to seek care for Missy at an oncologist you can try to find a regular veterinarian that is more experienced in chemotherapy options. If you are not interested in pursuing chemotherapy or radiation therapy then I focusing on pain management and infection control is key. If your veterinarian does not want to refill the antibiotics for you then maybe you can ask them to do a culture of the area so that you know what antibiotic works best or you may have to find another veterinarian to work with you until Missy is at a place where you know that she is suffering. Since I can not see the size of the condition of the mass it is hard to give an opinion on how painful/uncomfortable it is to her so I think getting a second opinion from a veterinarian in you area is important when you are considering something like Euthanasia of a beloved pet. Please let me know if I can help in any other way. Take care.