Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

we are looking after our daughters dog. An 8 month old beagle

Customer Question

we are looking after our daughters dog.
An 8 month old beagle poo. He is trying to do a poo but is having trouble . He has plenty of fresh water. He has a little bit of chicken with dried food, what can I do
Please help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

The first question is if Byron is having diarrhea which is causing excessive straining or constipation? Diarrhea is much more common to cause the excessive straining than constipation. Sometimes you will see evidence of loose stool clinging to the hair around the hind end.

Customer: Yes it is clinging to the rear end,
Dr. Joey :

Then he most likely has diarrhea. This can occur for many possible issues. Is he otherwise feeling well (normal attitude, appetite, energetic, drinking well)? Any vomiting?

Customer: Normall attitude seems quite happy he has vomited in my daughters car coming over, but has not been sick since, he his drinking,
Dr. Joey :

The car vomiting is probably motion sickness as is quite common (normal) for puppies. Since he seems to be doing well then I do have a few suggestions you could try at home this weekend. If he declines, however, which means he gets worsening of the loose stool especially if there is blood in there, vomiting, lethargic or not eating then he must be seen as an emergency situation. Otherwise, if he was my patient I might recommend you could try the following:

1) Feed a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day. If you do not have chicken you could substitute cottage cheese. Feed in several smaller meals (3 to 4 daily).

2) If his appetite declines give famotidine 10mg at ½ tablet every 12 hours for nausea/vomit. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.

3) Peptobismol liquid (bismuth sulfate suspension): Give 1 to 2 ml by mouth every 8 hours for diarrhea. This medication must be given 1 hour after any other medication as it will coat the system and can potentially prevent absorption of other medications.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know what questions you have.

Dr. Joey :

If you have no further questions, then please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Customer: Ok thank you will try that. When should I refer him to a vet, I am concerned as he is not my dog
Dr. Joey :

I always recommend if you are concerned that this is not improving or worsening, then you should have him seen. It sounds like he is stable. The point at which he absolutely must be seen is if he is lethargic, not eating well, has any vomiting, there is profuse diarrhea (to the point of accidents) or you see blood in his stool.

Customer: Ok I will try that, when should I refer him to a vet,I am concerned as he is not my dog
Dr. Joey :

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know if you have any additional questions for now.

Dr. Joey :

If there are no further questions then please keep me posted – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure if we are having a bad connection or you are done with our chat but we have not corresponded in quite a while. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.