Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Why does my dog have a dent in his head?

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You've described a form of facial muscle wasting- an atrophy of the muscles of mastication (chewing), mainly the temporal and masseter muscles and in this case the temporal muscle above the eye.
There are quite a few causes of such wasting including an idiopathic (unknown cause) trigeminal nerve neuropathy, immune-mediated diseases such as systemic lupus erythematosus and idiopathic polymyositis. Testing can become quite involved often needing the attention of a specialist veterinary neurologist. I understand that that may not be appropriate at Dodger's age but pursuing the diagnosis is available for the determined owner.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.