Dogs
Dogs, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with pet, working and show dogs alike.
76153631

Our dog is a Yorkshire terrier x Maltese terrier. He is nearly

Customer Question

Our dog is a Yorkshire terrier x Maltese terrier. He is nearly 2 years old. He is taken out last thing at night to go to the toilet but he has recently been urinating in the house during the night. How can we stop this happening?
Category: Dog
Expert:  knstrand replied 2 years ago.
knstrand :

Hello, I'm a small animal veterinarian and can help answer your question about Bobby

knstrand :

Was it rather sudden that Bobby displayed this regression in his potty training? or has he always had some accidents?

knstrand :

Is he neutered?

knstrand :

When he is going potty, doe he act uncomfortable or only release small amounts of urine at a time?

Expert:  Dogs replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, vet Andrew here. I see this is an old question which has popped up. Are you still having problems? Please post a reply to this message and I'll be notified. We can then take it from there.
Vet Andrew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been so busy. I finally have some time to write a reply.

I live in Surrey but our dog (Bobby) is looked after by my mother who lives in Scotland.

He is now 2 years 3 months.

Only for the last few months he has had a habit of doing his toilet inside on the carpet during the night.

There is a cat flap in the kitchen that he uses during the day. Maybe he won't use it at night because it is dark and cold.

His main exercising seems to be running around the garden instead of being taken out for walks.

My mother does take him out in the garden last thing at night but he doesn't seem to want to do his business then.

She has listed his diet as follows.

He drinks only water.

When she has her breakfast she gives him about a dessert spoon of bran flakes.

At about 11am she gives him a half of a 2" x 2" slab of meat.

At about 4.30pm he has the other half of the 2" x 2" slab of meat mixed with pedigree mixed biscuits (for small dogs).

She may sometimes give him a small scrap of food from her dinner plate.

At 11-12pm he has a small dog biscuit.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks,

Ray

Expert:  Dogs replied 2 years ago.
Are his stools that he leaves at night properly formed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. They are properly formed.

Expert:  Dogs replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry for the late reply - I have only just been notified of your response.
Given what you have told me I suspect Bobby has a problem with bowel habit rather than a specific medical disorder. Smaller dogs live longer than larger ones and as such mature later. At 2 years old, Bobby can be considered an adult dog with a mature skeleton and gut.
I think you are correct in thinking that Bobby is unwilling to go out at night because of the dark and cold. Therefore, we can attack this problem in one of two ways: Address his fear of going out at night or manage his diet to improve his bowel habit. In my experience, the second option is more fruitful.
I note that Bobby has most of his daily intake in the evening, with the main meal at 4.30 pm. In many dogs, the time the food will take to work it's way through can be as short as 12 hours, and I suspect this is happening here - when Bobby needs to go, he has to go. This is a question of a call of nature rather than bad behaviour.
I suggest you move his main meal to the morning. Secondly, a brief run around the garden is unlikely to be enough for Bobby to do his business, as small dogs are often distracted by play. Try to encourage your mother to give him a reasonable walk in the evening, visiting places where he normally passes stool. A small treat if he performs will help matters. She should stick rigidly to the routine for at least two weeks to allow time for Bobby's gut to readjust - the nervous system that controls the gut has daily rhythms just like the sleep/wake cycles of the brain.
I hope this helps, and please let me know how you get on.
Vet Andrew
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks very much for your advice.

Will I be able to reply to you on this website after 2 weeks or will my time allowed have expired since I have made only one payment of £21?

Thanks,

Ray

Expert:  Dogs replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray,
Once you have accepted my answer I can schedule a follow-up email for two weeks' time and you can reply to that for free.
Andrew
Dogs, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with pet, working and show dogs alike.
Expert:  Dogs replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your kind rating. I have scheduled a follow-up email via Just Answer. Regards, ***** *****