Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have a ***** ***** female 9 years old (very nervous) she

Customer Question

I have a ***** ***** female 9 years old (very nervous) she has taken to leaving 'messages' on the living room carpet in the early hours of the morning.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Molly. My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
By "messages", do you mean she is eliminating in the house? If so, is it urine, or feces, or both?
If it is feces, is it normally formed stool, or at all harder or softer than normal?
If it is urine, is it just a few drops, or a large amount?
The chemical you used; was it given to her as a medication? Or used to clean up after her?
If this is an elimination problem, has she always been totally housetrained until now? Never any "accidents" since she was a little puppy?
Sorry for all the questions. Behavior problems can be difficult, and the more information I have the better I can try to help you figure out why she is doing this, and I want to be sure what "messages" she is leaving.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning Rebecca,

to answer your questions:-

Feces both hard and loose.

Chemical was to clean the carpet and prevent her using the patch again.

As a puppy she had the odd accident but since she has been house trained.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
The first place to start with any behavior problem, is to be sure there is no physical reason for if. If her stools are sometimes soft, she may have colitis (inflammation of her colon) and have an urgency to defecate. Having a physical exam and a microscopic check of the stool is where I would begin.
If no physical reason is found: parasites, microscopic traces of blood in the stool, no impaction of her anal glands, arthritis, etc. then then next step would be to keep that area of carpet off limits to her when you go to bed. Using a pen, crate, baby gates or doors to keep her away from the carpet would be my next step.
She is relatively young, but sometimes the first sign of brain aging/ dementia/ cognitive dysfunction in dogs is forgetting that they are house trained. Some dogs with brain aging respond to being supplemented with anti oxidants: vitamins A, C, E; N acetyl cysteine; SAMe; etc. There is a product made for dogs called Cell Advance that I like for these dogs. It is available online, at least here in the US. An antioxidant vitamin product for humans would be OK, maybe only give half the dose for an adult.
Please let me know what else I can help with or answer.
Rebecca