Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my giant yorkshire terrier x something has had problems with

my giant yorkshire terrier x something has had problems with his anal glands and is tender to touch around his waistline, my vet has squeezed them again given antibiotics and has suggested 9m metacam, she thinks he may have a tumour, he is 15 years old, he shakes a lot ( is that because of pain), what do you think?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Fred may have an anal gland mass and is shaking.
Shaking can be related to pain, but can also be related to muscle weakness or contractions due to changes with blood electrolyte or mineral levels.
Anal gland tumors can release a hormone like substance that mimics parathormone which causes blood calcium levels to rise and that can be very dangerous, causing tremors, heart rate and rhythm abnormalities, calcification of organs and other tissues, and possible seizures.
While I think controlling pain and discomfort is a great idea, and metacam or another nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory may help with that, I would also want to make sure this is nothing more by checking his blood calcium and electrolyte levels.
We also want to make sure that he is able to pass stools comfortably past the mass so he may need a stool softner and to be fed a low residue food along with the stool softener to keep stools small, soft and easy to pass.
Best of luck with Fred, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, I understand about the other tests that perhaps he should have, I asked you because he gets so stressed when going to the vets. I realise that it's difficult for you to give guidance because you can't physically feel and see him. His stools seem fine and appetite is good, ( I hope i'm doing the right thing) i don't want him to suffer unnesersarily.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear that he gets so stressed at his veterinarian.
I am glad his stools are fine so far and his appetite remains good.
Unfortunately we cannot tell just by looking at him if his blood electrolytes and mineral are off, I wish that were so. Perhaps your veterinarian would agree to a house call for a blood draw so he's not so stressed by a in clinic visit.
If his blood levels look normal then perhaps using combination pain medication, Metacam and Tramadol or Gabapentin for example, would work better for him.
We need to be careful with Tramadol as some dogs get constipated with it, and he doesn't need that, but perhaps we can figure out the best combination for him.