Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has been passing very heavy mucus around her stools

Customer Question

My dog has been passing very heavy mucus around her stools which looks like jelly.It coincides with me giving her very small amounts of oven dried lambs liver as a treat instead of a dog biscuit.When she goes to the loo, she takes a long time to produce very thin loose drops.
Please can you advise me.
Thankyou
Carol
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is your dog?
2- Any diarrhea?
3- Any vomiting?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. SUZY is 12yrs old ish

2. No

3. No

4. No

She's just been to the loo & has had a 'normal' stool,in a healthy way.

Hope this info helps, thanks-Carol

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Carol, when we see mucus in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). Could the treat be the cause? Yes. Other causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.

2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Peter,

Sorry, I jumped the gun!!!- After I sent the reply less than 12hrs later Suzy was back to normal.

I would like to change my rating to EXCELLENT.

I AM TRULY SORRY for MISJUDGING YOUR ANSWER.

Many thanks.I will certainly use your expert advice again.

Kind regards, Carol S.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Good morning Carol, thank you for the excellent rating. I am happy to learn Suzy is back to normal.

Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I HAVE replied to you!

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Please disregard any future emails; those are automated from the site.

Dr. Peter