Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Boxer 2 yrs old on October. Diagnosed with giardiasis

Boxer bitch 2 yrs old on October. Diagnosed with giardiasis back in January 2014 been on all types of antibiotics changes in diet now on grain free food for 7 days still losing blood & very lose stools ? Not much appetite do I need further tests. Fully insured.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you list the names of the medications he has been treated?
2- So since January the stool has never been normal?
3- Is he losing or unable to gain weight?
4- Is he lethargic?
5- Any vomiting?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi far too many medications to remember but she was allergic to the first one made her vomit. Currently on oxycare 250mg 1twice daily. Also recommended to change her to grain free diet. Been on new food for 7 days now stools seem to be firming but the last minute she has to go again & pure blood ! Not lethargic unless she has an accident in the house which I put down to guilt. No vomiting. Not gaining weight at all 20 kilos her sibling is 32 kilos.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Has the diarrhea at any point got better?
2- Was she treated with Panacur (fenbendazole) or Metronidazole)
3- Has your vet done testing like xrays, blood work, sonogram, etc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Panda cur made her vomit
Metronidazole she has had. No X-rays but bloods taken pancreas all fine sonogram no. Diarrhoea sometimes stops but as soon you give her a treat back to square one.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, I am going to opt out and allow other experts to comment.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.
Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been battling this situation for so long.

One thing worth investigating, is a condition of Boxers known as Histiocytic Ulcerative Colitis. It's diagnosed by taking a biopsy of the intestinal lining, which is then sent to a laboratory for microscopic examination.

Treatment is typically 6-8 weeks of a fluoroquinolone-type antibiotic such as Baytril, and possibly digestive anti inflammatory medicines such as Sulfasalazine. There may be flare ups later on in life as well, since this is a condition that may be genetic in origin.

You can also try adding Tylan powder to the food, 1/4 teaspoon daily, this is sold as a poultry feed additive but is safe for use in dogs.
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery